I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gotten weird looks when I tell folks I do yoga. Yoga means to integrate body, mind and spirit. But to some, it means some type of strange religious experience that they want to stay far away from. Or it conjures up images of contortionists.
A quick comparison of benefits of American exercise to Yoga shows us that they are more alike than you may think.
|Improves your mood||Better concentration and mood|
|Combats chronic disease||Reduce heart and medical conditions|
|Manage weight||Flexibility, strength, and better posture|
|Boost energy level||Less stress|
|Better sleep||Better and deeper breathing|
Here are 5 exercises that most americans have done (or tried to do) somewhere in their lifetime whose roots come from Yoga.
- headstand – yoga pose name of Salamba Sirsasana
- shoulderstand – yoga posa name of Sarvangasana
- superman – yoga pose name of Vimanasana
- hiplift also known as bridge pose – yoga posa name of Setu Bandha Sarvangasana
- cat stretch – this combines 2 yoga poses known as cat pose (Marjaryasana) and cow pose (Bitilasana).
For those you don’t remember how to do these poses, or need a refresher, this site provides great visuals and explanations of the poses.
So the next time someone mentions yoga, what vision will come into your mind?